Monday, December 7, 2015

Expanded Scenes

     I thought I would give #1lineWed a go this week. The topic for December 2nd was humor. It was challenging to get the humor across when dealing with the limited amount of characters. I thought I would post a couple expanded scenes to provide more of a context to the lines I selected.  The first scene is from my book, Entangled, which was released this year. The second scene is from my second novel in this series that is currently in progress.

Scene 1
Sonya drove to Ashlin High School. She went to the office and formally introduced herself and said she was there to interview students who knew Connor Evans. She asked if there was a private office she could use and was shown to the guidance counselor’s office. Sonya requested Mike Traynor be told simply to report to the office.
In about five minutes the door opened and Mike stepped in. He was a big kid, about six two with dark wavy hair. Sonya indicated he should take the seat across from her. He closed the door behind him and sat looking completely relaxed with a slight smirk on his face. He maintained eye contact with Sonya without so much as a flinch. He was well practiced.
“Mike Traynor?” Sonya asked.
“Maybe.”
“I hope I’m not taking you away from anything important.”
Mike’s smirk grew. “You can get me out of f****** American Government anytime.”
“More exciting to watch sh** dry in the sun, huh?”
Mike’s smirk was gone and his eyes narrowed a bit. “Are you a guidance counselor?”
“Of sorts,” Sonya said as she couldn’t help her own smirk from touching her lips. “I’m Detective Reisler.”

Scene 2
            Mike shuffled out of the hall clad only in a pair of boxer briefs. He scanned the family room then headed for the kitchen, his brows knitted together.
            Sonya glowered at him briefly before washing out her own mug, still miffed over his taste in dates. "Looking for someone?"
            "Yeah. The girl I brought home last night. She said she would..." his voice trailed off as he noticed Sonya's gun and badge. "Oh, hell no. You scared her off, didn't you?"
            Sonya shrugged as she dried her hands. "I thought I was being friendly enough. She offered me a not so legal morning pick me up and I offered not to bust her for possession if she got the hell out."
            Mike closed his eyes and groaned.
            She walked over to him, reached up and slapped him hard on the back of his head. "What the hell is wrong with you bringing someone like that here?" she hissed. "Skeeter doesn't need to be seeing that kind of stuff. Not to mention Connor could lose guardianship of her."
            "I didn't know she was into sh** like that," Mike hissed back as he rubbed his head. "Talking wasn't high on the list of activities last night."
            "You should also be wearing more clothes coming out here."
            Mike scowled at her. "I was planning on wearing nothing but that brunette for a couple more hours," he grumbled.
            Sonya focused her eyes a bit lower and smirked. "I can tell."
            "Jesus," he said as he took a step back from her and quickly positioned himself behind the island.
            Grinning, Sonya hopped up on the island next to Mike. "You should actually be thanking me. Mornings are not kind to that girl."
            "Nobody says I have to look at her. I'm sure there's more than one reason they call it doggy style."
            "God, you're so bad," Sonya said, as she smacked his shoulder.
            A grin started to play at the corners of his mouth. "I think you like bad."

No comments:

Post a Comment