Saturday, April 2, 2016

Interview With Author Ismael Manzano

   I had the opportunity to interview author Ismael Manzano.  In this interview he talks about his new release, Soulless.  It is the first book in his Soul Broker series being put out by Fantasy Works Publishing.
Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Author Ismael Manzano
    My name is Ismael Manzano. I live in the Bronx and have done so my entire life. I have a six-year-old son who is the center of my world, and a wonderful wife who is also a writer, which makes brainstorming and editing much more fun. I love history--which has nothing to do with my writing--but I’ve always been drawn to Ancient Roman history, Medieval English history (more specifically, Tudor England), and I dabble in Egyptian history, although I confess that most of that revolves around Cleopatra and her involvement with Julius Caesar.

What is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?
    My book is called Soulless. It’s book one of the Soul Broker series. In a roundabout way it was inspired by a short story called The Monkey’s Paw. The final version has nothing to do with the source material, but I was fascinated by the idea of taking something established and twisting it around and approaching it from a new perspective.

How would you categorize your book?
    Urban Fantasy

Introduce us to your book's main character.  What is it about this character that appeals to you as a writer?
    Charlotte Furio, is a woman who has spent most of her adult life caring for her infirm father. She has a strong code of ethics, independent of religion, but tends to see only the negative aspects of herself. This character appealed to me because I liked the idea of a character who is governed by her own set of morals, even if her choices are not always smart, safe or prudent.

http://amzn.to/29ruTJh
Available Now
How did the book come to be titled and how does the title relate to the story?
    The title was the easiest part of the story. Once I knew that I was going to write about buying souls, the title just came to me. It also helped to establish a foundation for the protagonist’s character, who is both an atheist and is hyperaware of her penchant for selfish behavior.
Tell us more about the cover design.  How involved were you with creating the cover?
    Tiffany Heiser created the cover for me. She works for Fantasy Works Publishing. She was amazing throughout the process. I had an idea for the cover from the moment I started writing the story, and she helped bring it to life. We went back and forth a few times, with alternate versions of the cover before finally settling on one, but she took the time to work with me on it, so I had the cover I wanted.



Tell us something about Soulless that isn't mentioned in the synopsis.
    Charlotte is a media buff. Having spent years caring for her father, she chose to pass the time watching television shows and movies. So she makes a lot of references to them.

Give us a summary of Soulless in a tweet.
    A woman stumbles upon the world of soul brokering when her ailing father is healed by a woman with a contract. 

How much of your experience is in Soulless?
    Actually very little. With the exception of the movie and television show references, our experiences are vastly different.

Describe your writing process.
    My process has gone through many changes throughout the years and probably will go through more as time goes on. But for this book, I started with an outline. I kept it small and very bare bones at first. I reread the outline over a dozen times, adding things to it as I went along. By the end, the outline was a bloated monster with chunks of prose and metaphors and character sketches strewn throughout. When I couldn’t add anymore, I started writing the novel properly. When I got past an important part of the story, I stopped, reread the outline to remind myself what direction the story was headed and to make adjustments, because sometimes little changes made on the fly affected the rest of the story.

Describe your writing environment.
    I write whenever I can get a free moment. I am cursed with being unable to divide my attention, so usually I need to wait for everyone in the house to fall asleep or find a quiet break room at work. When those aren’t available, I write on the train or whenever I’m waiting on line for something. Those are usually just notes jotted down to remind me of an idea or a conversation I want to happen. But with an energetic six-year-old running around the house, I had to learn to write at specific times, and just make notes on my phone at all other times.

How much research did you put into your book?
    It’s not the type of book the requires much research, but I did spend months figuring out the trajectory of the series, how each character fit into the whole, what everyone’s purpose and motivations were, etc.

What are your hobbies or interests outside of writing?
    Like Charlotte, I love television shows and movies. But I also love history, specifically Tudor England and Ancient Rome, but I’ve branched off into other avenues like the Civil War, Ancient Egypt, and eastern religions.

What is the best advice received as an author?  What is the harshest criticism?  What have you learned from either?
    The best advice I’d ever received as an author was also the harshest criticism, and it was not to be too ‘flowery.’ When I was younger, I thought the bigger the word, the more intelligent the work sounded, when the opposite was usually the case. Words should have purpose and should not be shoehorned into the prose to make it sound more professional. I learned to focus on the flow of the story, and that sometimes, small words or brief sentences have more impact than a lengthy paragraph jammed with SAT words.

What kinds of books did you read as a child?
    My early reading loves were C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia series, and Lloyd Alexander’s The Chronicles of Prydain series. A little bit later, I got into Piers Anthony’s Xanth series and it only went uphill from there.

What specific authors or genres do you read now?
    For most of my life I read Epic or High Fantasy books. Terry Brooks and Brandon Sanderson to name a couple authors. Only recently did I get into Urban Fantasy, such as the Dresden Files and Kelley Armstrong’s Otherworld series. Then of course, there are random Dean Koontz and Stephen King books. I love reading stories with thoroughly fleshed out anti-heroes.

What is next for you?
    Currently I’m working on Soul Search (Book 2 of Soul Broker), and outlining a separate standalone novel.
Ismael Manzano can be reached at the following places:
Soulless is available at the following sites:


No comments:

Post a Comment