Sunday, May 24, 2015

To Build A Fire


         
 
     My writing journey started out about six years ago when I seriously started putting pen to paper and fingers to keyboard. At the time, I was excited about the story but knew very little about writing. Unsure if I was just deluding myself in thinking I could write, I asked a friend to read the first couple of chapters.

     Much to my relief he said he liked them and wanted to read more. I was thrilled and eagerly began adding to the story. Looking back, I cringe at what I gave him to read. It was bad. Really bad. Despite this, I think he knew I needed encouragement instead of honesty and I will always be thankful for that.

     For me the development of a writer is like building a fire. In the beginning you have a small fragile nest of tinder that a spark is set to. It catches and glows and you are at that critical juncture where you need that little puff of air to ignite it. No puff and the glow fades. That small initial encouragement can start the flame.

     But a writer doesn't develop on little puffs of air alone. We need to start adding kindling to make the fire stronger. We need to open ourselves up to constructive criticism to help our craft grow. Just as the kindling sticks are rough and jagged, criticism can be the same. But moving away from the gentle puffs is necessary to make the quality of our craft grow. Like when building a fire, start small and be selective of what you add to your flames. You want to add kindling that will feed the flames, not smother them. As time goes on you will know what your fire needs to make it continue to grow.
    Every writer's journey is different and these are some thoughts on mine. What is the same, though, is every writer is the keeper of his or her flame. Guard it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment