Thursday, January 28, 2016

Interview With Author Jared Lillis

   Jared Lillis is releasing his first book, Groundhogs: The Supercharged Forecaster on February 2nd, 2016.  I had a great opportunity to interview this up and coming children's author and am sharing it with you.

Author/Illustrator Jared Lillis
Tell us a little bit about yourself.

   I have an art degree and, in recent years, added writing and animation programs to my education. However, I have worked with children for most of my career—formerly at a YMCA and currently in the field of mental health at a pediatric clinic. With my new children’s book I was able to combine my creative arts pursuits with my love for kids.

What is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?

   My book is titled Groundhogs: The Supercharged Forecaster. The story idea hit me when I saw the online cover of the picture book Groundhog Weather School by Joan Holub. Joan’s book is a humorous, educational book featuring groundhogs who can’t actually forecast the length of winter. My idea was to take this fun legend of weather-forecasting groundhogs to the extreme, thus the supercharged forecaster was born.

How would you categorize your book?

   The book is a middle-grade action/adventure/fantasy/sci-fi story sprinkled with humor. It has a Stuart Little flavor to it, not that any mice or groundhogs actually get eaten. J

Introduce us to your series lead character.

   The hero of my story is a groundhog named Jet. Humans become his enemy when a traumatic event occurs while he is still a cub. This event also leads to the advancement of his forecasting abilities far beyond those of any other groundhog in his community.
   When a down and out weatherman named Heath Waverly comes along, Jet’s views of humans are tested. He must decide whether or not to use his weather-forecasting abilities to save humans from natural disasters. The eco-supervillain, Forrest Cutler, makes Jet’s decision especially difficult by attempting to destroy Jet’s home.

What is it about these characters that appeal to you as a writer?

These characters are appealing because they must stand strong, both mentally and physically, to overcome great hardships and tragedy. Their courage and moral character is tested to the limits as they find their path to forgiveness of themselves and their enemies.

How did the book come to be titled?

   Due to the fact that I envision this story as the first in a series, I decided on a general title which provides a feel for the whole series, and a subtitle which identifies the big idea or hook of the first story.


http://amzn.to/29fORIG
Available Now

Tell us more about the cover design. How involved were you with creating the cover?

   I created the cover illustration for the book. It features Jet in a lightning storm facing off with the giant, robotic milling snakes which are intended to be used by the villain to wipe out national forests, starting with Jet’s home. I also drew fun chapter-heading artwork, as well as character designs on the back cover.


Tell us something about your book that isn't mentioned in the synopsis.

   This book involves powerful messages about forgiveness and the value of every individual without coming off as preachy. The environmental theme snuck up on me, as well. I didn’t realize I had an eco-friendly story until an editor suggested I promote this aspect. My response was to print the book and companion school supplies on wheat-straw paper from Woody Harrelson’s company, Prairie Paper, Inc..

Give us a summary of your book in a tweet.

   A scrappy groundhog must work with humans and forecast lightning strikes to save his home from an eco-supervillain planning to pulp entire national forests with giant, robotic milling snakes.

How much of your experience is in your book?

   This book comes mostly from my imagination rather than experience, with the notable exception that everyone faces the decision to either forgive those who have hurt us or hold grudges against them. And, as in my story, my experience has proven that peace comes by forgiveness.

Describe your writing process.

   My writing process has changed dramatically over time. I used to just sit down and write from beginning to end. However, this always resulted in the need for extensive rewriting, so I now start by developing a high concept, then appealing characters, followed by a plot outline with what I call the “nine necessary” story points. Only after this is solid will I start writing a rough draft. I teach this method in a youth writing program which is offered for free by my new company, teennovelist.com.

Describe your writing environment.

   Very simple. Just me at home on my computer with no white noise…or any other color of noises.

How much research did you put into your book?

   For a children’s book titled Groundhogs there was a surprising amount of research that went into it. For example, I had to study photos in order to draw them accurately, including their four digits on their forepaws, and their five-digit hind paws. I also looked into their environments before I decided that the edge of a forest by a small town would be realistic. I researched all natural predators of groundhogs. Snakes were among them, which helped me decide on giant, mechanical snakes as the best creature to harvest trees and threaten Jet. Then there are all those little-known, peculiar groundhog behaviors. Some people may know that groundhogs really do whistle to warn their family of predators, but who knew their young are called cubs, or that they can actually climb trees? I sure didn’t.
   Then there was the subject of bionics. Dr. Drizzlen, the bionics scientist who helps Jet defeat the enemy, has gadgets galore. I needed to gain a basic understanding of the subject to explain how his futuristic devices operated.

What are your hobbies, interests outside of writing? Do any of these activities find their way into your books?

   My hobbies, interests, and career definitely influence my writing due to the fact that they overlap. I can learn behaviors of kids while working at my pediatric clinic, and my experience with art and animation help me create a highly-visual storytelling experience.

What is the best advice received as an author? What is the harshest criticism? What have you learned, or can learn, from either?

   The best writing advice I have received is probably to keep striving for something better. Whether it be a story concept, an act, or a scene. There is always a way to make it better. This is why I value getting many critiques and making several revisions before calling a story finished.
   The harshest criticism may be more directed to my chosen subject matter than my writing itself. It’s the idea that children’s books are somehow less important than stories for adults. I completely disagree. My purpose is not only to entertain, but to influence my readers to make good choices in life. And I think we can all agree that it is much easier to make a positive impact on youth than adults. It’s safe to say the next title in my series will not be Fifty Shades of Groundhogs.

What advice might you give aspiring authors?

   Never give up on your dreams. This is a common phrase, but is very true. Writing is often a long and challenging process, but great stories, like anything else of real value, take time to develop. And in today’s market, no one can prevent you from becoming a published author except yourself.

What kinds of books did you read as a child? Did the genre you read most influence your decision to become an author of the kind of books you write today?

   I remember Dr. Seuss books the most, but it wasn’t books that influenced me to become an author of children’s books. It was the children I have worked with over my career. When I pick up a picture book in a roomful of rowdy preschoolers and they calm down and converge on me to hear me read it, that shows me the power kid’s books can have.

What specific authors or books influenced how and what you write today?

   I haven’t been influenced by specific authors or books, as I must admit I wasn’t a big reader as a kid or an adult. I was mostly just into the artwork. Thankfully, this is changing now that I have a writing program with kids who demonstrate an interest in reading and writing far beyond what I had at their age.

What types of books do you read now for pleasure?

   The type of books I like to read are pretty much the type I like to write. Fast-moving action/adventure where an underdog hero must overcome seemingly-impossible odds to defeat the villain and save the day.

Do you have any favorite characters, and if so, what is it about them that appeals to you?

   In general, my favorite characters are those who start at rock bottom and don’t quit until they find a way to reach the top—without resorting to immoral behavior to get there. This is the type of person we need more of in the real world.

What is next for you?

   I’m currently focused on the marketing phase of this book, along with my youth writing program, but I hope to get started on the second installment in the series soon. I also look forward to finishing the third story, which is already in rough-draft form. It takes us in a new and even more humorous direction.

You can contact Jared and find out more about his book and other projects at http://www.strawpaperproject.com/  and  http://www.teennovelist.com/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment